Quantum Support Services welcomes news from State Minister for Housing, Richard Wynne that the Victorian Government will provide grants of up to $1,500 to support tenants experiencing rental stress. These grants are subject to eligibility criteria and will be paid directly to the renter’s agent, leaser, or landlord to contribute to their rental payments.
The Minister has also announced almost $45M in funding to be used toward expenses of emergency hotel accommodation for people experiencing homelessness. This injection of government funds will assist rough sleepers to access safe accommodation. It is hoped that access to safe and secure emergency hotel accommodation will assist to reduce the risk of transmission of COVID19 across an already vulnerable community.
As a leading service provider to people experiencing homelessness or housing stress in Gippsland, Quantum has long-campaigned for the government’s focus on preventing tenancy breakdowns and longer term solutions for those experiencing homelessness.
According to Quantum Chief Executive Natalie McDonald, “The announcement of this new initiative by the Minister is going to make a significant difference to people’s lives whose finances have taken a hit because of the pandemic. Rental arrears are one of the most common reasons that people face eviction into homelessness. Housing stress has increased significantly for renters across Gippsland, creating an increased demand on support services.”
To be eligible for one-off grants of up to $1500 tenants will need to:
- Have lost income of 20 per cent or more due to the pandemic on or after 27 May 2021;
- Have less than $2,000 in savings (excluding superannuation);
- Have a single income of less than $1,208.85 per week, or $1,813.46 as a couple, aligning to an annual income limit of $62,860 for singles, and $94,300 for couples;
- Rent a place which is your primary residence;
- Provide proof of a rent reduction agreement for a period after 27 May 2021; and
- Be paying more than 30% of your income in rent.
To find out if you are eligible and view the applicable criteria, visit https://www.housing.vic.gov.au/help-renting/rentrelief.
For more information on the support services available through Quantum Support Services on 1800 243 455.